Thursday, December 3, 2009

A New Greatest Generation

No Way!

This is not the next "Greatest Generation." People are talking about it, but we are not. I'm part of this generation of soldiers who fights terrorism, and will continue to do so. We are better trained, equipped, and experienced then the soldiers in WWII. The war they waged was more fearsome then what is happening now.

I was told by a WWII Marine that I was part of the greatest Marines ever, and I told him no. We argued about who would buy who a drink that night and shared "war stories." I fought in Iraq during the invasion; he fought on Iwo Jima, Saipan, and Okinawa. The tenacity and resolve those Marines had were 1,000 times more then what I needed to survive and win in Iraq. They are still (and probably always will be) the Greatest Generation.

I know they are the greatest, because I read their books and reports to learn how to fight. About what equipment needed to do, and about leadership, marksmanship, and teamwork. They paved the way for what I was able to create. In fact the last book I read before going to battle was "Guns Up!" It was about a Marine Machine Gunner in WWII.

So I defer to the WWII Soldiers, Airmen, Sailors, and Marines as the Greatest Generation, and would like others to stop branding me as the greatest generation, I don't even come close.

Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment