Saturday, September 11, 2010

How's Your Memory?

September 11, 2001

Have you forgotten? What happened and where were you that day? What did you feel?

I was on my way to work in Orange County California, working for an armored car company. I was listening live when the second plane struck the second tower.

At work everyone was surrounding the single TV in disbelief and anger. Most of my coworkers were former military and law enforcement. We all knew it was a terrorist attack long before the media confirmed it. The boss reminded us we had a job to do.

I went to work. Everyone was scared and not sure what to do.

About noon my Marine Reserve Unit was put on stand by (I think every unit in the country was called up). I went home and packed, not having any idea where I would be sent. And then I waited.

I waited until 2002 to be activated and then ended up as part of the invasion force for Iraq in 2003.

It changed my life. Do you still remember how you felt that day?

Don’t forget, ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment