Sunday, June 21, 2009

Be Prepared!

The Boy Scout Motto. Seems to work on everything. I seem to be over prepared and people make fun of me for carrying to much stuff. Today I went to a shooting competition, and someone violated safety rule number 3 (keep you finger straight and off the trigger until you intend to fire). He put his finger on the trigger as he drew his weapon, and discharged a round into his leg. Luckily he wasn't hurt badly, through and through without hitting a bone. Just a flesh wound.

I heard the calls come down the line looking for a medic. When no one answered, I grabbed my first aid kit and went. There was a couple people with some skills. I never thought I would be the only one with advanced first aid skills and (more importantly) a good first aid kit.

It was easy, someone called 911, myself and a local county sheriff shooting the competition, patched him up and waited for EMS. They got there and he left. Not a problem this time because the wound was so minor. If it had been bad and I hadn't had a first aid kit, it could have been bad for this person.

Moral of the story, be prepared. I talked with the sheriff for a while after EMS arrived. He said when he was on duty he always carried a personal first aid kit when on duty, the county didn't give him one. No one seems prepared, are you?

Make sure you know what to do and have what you need to do it.

Stay Safe,

Ben

ModernSelfProtection.com

No comments:

Post a Comment