Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Firearms Cleaning

What do you use to clean your gun? and what schedule do you clean your gun on?  I don't have the end all be all answer for both, but I have learned a couple things.

First, My Glock will start to choke around 1100 to 1200 rounds if I carry it and don't clean it at all.  So I make sure I clean my gun before that point.  Not that I really care on the range if the gun malfunctions (it just gives me practice), but in the real world if I was trying to defend myself or someone else it could me that someone dies.  So cleaning my gun is simple compared to the consequences.

I know one instructor that cleans his gun every week.  I'm just not that dedicated, but it would be nice. Now I've started cleaning my guns once a month after each class I teach.  That's generally when I shoot a lot anyways and works out nicely for me.  You should find something that works and even if you never fire your carry gun, consider cleaning it on a normal schedule.  Once a month might be good depending on your climate or twice a year might work.  I would default to sooner rather then later.  Cleaning your gun is an easy task that could save your life.  So "do what I say, not what I do" and clean your gun regularly.

As for what to use.  Don't get complicated.  I just did a review of Frog Lube CLP and wasn't that impressed.  I am going back to Breakfree CLP.  It just does everything well.  Nothing outstanding, just well.  I like the CLPs because they do everything.  Lots of guys want something that is specialty for everything.  They keep three or four bottles of crap and they do everything a little better then the CLP, but not much.  For me it's not worth the hassle.  Just get a bottle of CLP and be done with it.

Stay Safe,

Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment