Tuesday, May 21, 2013

At the Gun Show



I’ve been to dozens of gun shows and love shopping at them. I use to buy all my ammo from shows because it was cheaper.  Now it seems to be the most expensive place to buy ammo.  But this last weekend I worked at the show behind a gun table.  I had lots of fun selling guns to people that wanted them. 
I just wanted to share some of the people I met with you.  There was a nice old couple that was looking to buy something for home protection for her.  I talked to her and showed her every gun under the sun for about 30 minutes (which is a lifetime at a show).  She finally picked the Ruger LC380.  It’s a great gun, but more importantly it was by far the best gun for her and her needs.  That’s why I sold it to her.  I got her started on the paperwork and in the mean time the husband asked to see a gun.  Then he started the paperwork on that one.  They never once asked about the price.  It was nice to deal with two people that really wanted to learn and find the best gun for them.
I met another couple that where taking their CHL course the next weekend and wanted something they could both shoot.  He had shot before and she was really new.  We spent lots of time together picking the perfect gun for her and what she was going to do with it (I think he is going to buy something for him later even-though he said he wouldn’t be carrying because he worked on a military base and can’t).  We found the gun for her and then he remembered that the same gun was $75 cheaper at the other dealer a couple isles over.  The owner I work for said he would take $25 off his to get close.
At first they decided they where going to buy it from them because of the price.  I told them that the class and time I spent with them was well worth the $50 and they could take it or leave it.  For some reason they couldn’t get over the price difference and bought another gun from us that was cheaper.  I hope it works for them.  But it was only $50 on a $600 gun that will last easily a lifetime.  And that the person is going to defend their life with.  Is your life worth $50?
Another guy I met talked my ear off about an AR rifle and all the functions.  I taught him a ton about competitive shooting because he wanted to buy a Colt for his daughter.  After about 30 minutes he said thank, I’m going to go buy the gun from the dealer over there because they have a better price and are giving away free ammo.
I did meet other great people, some bought guns from us, some did not.  It was just really frustrating to spend all that time with people to get them the perfect product and then have them say I’m going to buy it someplace else to save 5%.  I guess, so goes sales, but I won’t be doing that again in my life now that I have seen the other side.
Stay Safe,

No comments:

Post a Comment