Friday, April 11, 2008

OPSEC

Operational Security, the reason more people get into trouble then anything else. It’s so easy to pass information over the internet and phones without thinking about it. I’ve posted some pictures for my friends and family but have to be careful. Most pictures contain operational information about ability and numbers. If I show a picture of me in all my gear, it shows what kinds of weapons and equipment is standard in the business. I can’t talk about over half of what I do out here because of OPSEC. My wife has come to except the vague statements I give her. Sometimes she asks pointed questions and I have to reminder her that I can’t answer that over the phone. She’s really cool about it.

The problem comes when two operators start talking. They talk about everything, and know that the person is cleared for it. We sometimes forget that someone else is listening in. It’s not as bad as in 2003. I use to begin my conversations with my wife by saying hello to the people on both sides. The Americans and Iraqis both listened to our conversations.

No comments:

Post a Comment